|An olive drab East German balaclava|
|Place of origin:||GDR|
|Produced:||At least 1989|
|Used by:||National People's Army|
The NVA balaclava is made of synthetic wool consisting of 100% Polyacrylonitrile and is knitted in cable style. It has one large oval eye opening which also allows the exposure of the nose for easier breathing. It is 20" long and two color variations are known, olive drab (grün) and brown.
Prior to the late 1980s the East German military utilized a Schlauchschal type tube scarf for cold protection of the head, however in the late 1980s a new type of balaclava appears to have been introduced.
The NVA balaclava is attested to have been part of the Uniform 90, however the earliest known balaclavas are marked "N" which in the East German date coding system means 1989 as year of manufacture, other balaclavas are marked with "D" which stands for 1990. Its cable style knit pattern can be considered fairly outdated for the 1990 compared to contemporary balaclava designs.
The disbandment of the East German National People's Army in October 1990 means that this type of balaclava did not have enough time to be widely put into service. This explains the fact that there is no known photographic evidence of it being used and its presence on the surplus market.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://www.google.bg/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.sportsmansguide.com%2Fadimgs%2Fl%2F6%2F608544_ts.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2-origin.sportsmansguide.com%2Fproduct%2Findex%2Fnew-east-german-military-surplus-wool-balaclava-5-pack%3Fa%3D1907854&docid=xMUN9FJL8DNqSM&tbnid=Ag8cy5d_pqIuGM%3A&w=1155&h=1155&bih=891&biw=1680&ved=0ahUKEwjq2LroyfHPAhWjK5oKHdfqAPA4ZBAzCFwoWDBY&iact=mrc&uact=8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 http://camocamo.com/en/clothes/857-nva-army-balaclava-olive-new-9873423423432.html
- ↑ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DDR-EAST-GERMAN-ARMY-ISSUE-HEADOVER-NECK-WARMER-/201586221963
- ↑ https://www.google.bg/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTYwMFgxMjAw%2Fz%2F-XoAAOSwG-1WxK17%2F%24_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ph%2Fitm%2FEast-German-Army-NVA-Balaclava-Wool%2F252290759329&docid=N8bPhJ5sBfNi3M&tbnid=CHTcJ5y21Qqc7M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjq4Im94LPTAhXGjCwKHWpWCYAQMwgnKAYwBg..i&w=300&h=400&itg=1&bih=633&biw=1366&q=east%20german%20balaclava&ved=0ahUKEwjq4Im94LPTAhXGjCwKHWpWCYAQMwgnKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8
- ↑ http://www.ebay.at/itm/NVA-DDR-Fallschirmjager-Kopfschutz-Oma-Aufklarer-KSK-18-East-German-Sturmhaube-/282435434296?hash=item41c276b738:g:EqwAAOSwhQhY6moW
- ↑ http://www.ebay.at/itm/NVA-Fallschirmjager-Spezialeinheiten-Sturmhaube-DDR-Lagerware-selten-MfS-Stasi-/182532894888?hash=item2a7fcef0a8:g:X2sAAOSwB09YOvWA
- ↑ https://www.ebay.com/itm/East-German-Military-Surplus-Balaclava-Synthetic-Wool-/302541170653?nma=true&si=ZGRtfIRLEyGmNaeLGB6lSFb%252BW1s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 https://www.ebay.at/itm/NVA-DDR-Fallschirmjager-Kopfschutz-Oma-Aufklarer-KSK-18-East-German-Sturmhaube-/282758887385?hash=item41d5be37d9
- ↑ https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-east-german-military-surplus-wool-balaclava-5-pack?a=1907854
- ↑ http://www.gowenmilitaria.com/datecodes.html
- ↑ https://www.google.bg/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fmainemilitarymuseum.info%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F02%2Fimg_0065.jpg%3Fresize%3D366%252C550&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmainemilitarymuseum.info%2Fphotos-and-videos%2Fhats-and-helmets%2F&docid=otob7VEGd26eXM&tbnid=AGD0JME9ZRFRaM%3A&vet=1&w=366&h=550&bih=633&biw=1366&ved=0ahUKEwjq4Im94LPTAhXGjCwKHWpWCYAQMwhNKCIwIg&iact=c&ictx=1