|A Greek "Thracian type" bronze helmet found at lake Copais, Boeotia. Dated: 450-400 BC|
|Place of origin:||Ancient Thrace/Classical Greece|
|Produced:||5th century BC-???|
|Manufacturer(s):||Thracians, Ancient Macedonians, probably other Hellenistic states|
|Used by:||Thracian Military, Ancient Macedonian Military, probably other Hellenistic armies|
|Wars:||Third Sacred War, Wars of Alexander the Great, Wars of the Diadochi, Macedonian Wars|
The Thracian Type Helmet originated in ancient Thrace. The design of the helmet was based on a type of hat worn by the ancient Thracians. The cap was made of soft material most often rising to a forward pointing peak. It was re-enforced by a band or hem running across the head. The helmet repeated this shape in bronze. This model was developed in the 5th century BC by the ancient Thracians, however, it became widespread design among the Classical Greek and Hellenistic armies. It was used by the army of Alexander the Great during his wars in the late 4th century BC. The Thracian helmet was still in use during the 2nd century BC, but as the hellenistic era and influence came to a close the design probably fell out of use being replaced by Roman models.
In popular cultureEdit
- The Thracian Helmet is featured in the video game Rome: Total War. It is worn by some of the Greek, Macedonian, Seleucid and Thracian generals, it can be seen on their portraits.
- The Thracian Helmet is featured in the video game Total War: Rome II. It is worn by the in game model of the character Scipio Africanus.
- The Thracian Helmet is featured in the video game Total War: Arena. It is worn by the character Scipio Africanus.
- The Thracian Helmet is featured in the video game mod Kings and Conquerors: The Hellenistic Era. It is worn by the Pezhetairoi unit.
- ↑ http://www.sheshen-eceni.co.uk/photo_3.html
- ↑ http://www.thefakebusters.com/greek%20bronze%20helmets/ancient%20Greek%20hoplite%20bronze%20helmets%2010.htm
- ↑ http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,61987.msg3507578.html#msg3507578
- ↑ http://www.wyrmwickcreations.com/ourshop/prod_3150723-Thracian-Helmet.html
- ↑ http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,247672.msg6117539.html#msg6117539
- ↑ http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/pw/ancient-warfare/blog/the-ascendancy-of-thebes/
- ↑ https://www.google.bg/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fd3%2F3d%2F6b%2Fd33d6b5352acb19545e4d3e651069761.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Frecerto%2Fequipo-helen%25C3%25ADstico%2F&docid=V33hiLolDaEAcM&tbnid=9KRcW5CnMloLAM%3A&w=236&h=258&itg=1&bih=891&biw=1680&ved=0ahUKEwjxgtSD8OTOAhULWxQKHRCpAWk4ZBAzCCsoKTAp&iact=mrc&uact=8
- ↑ http://www.hixenbaugh.net/otherfiles/Ancient%20Greek%20Helmets.PDF
- ↑ http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/greece/ig/Ancient-Greece/Bronze-Helmet-and-Armor.htm
- ↑ https://www.flickr.com/photos/bellatrix6/167733254/sizes/l/in/photostream/
- ↑ http://www.pinterest.com/pin/451415562622399424/
- ↑ http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?646339-Scipio-unique-helmet&p=13765979&viewfull=1#post13765979